If you live in the Sutherland Shire, you may be spending a significant amount of money on electricity rates.
Electricity Costs and How to save Money with Different Appliances
Here is a comparison of each household appliance in The Sutherland Shire and their electrical use, along with some tips on how to conserve electricity for them.
Water Heating Systems
Of all the household electrical appliances, water heating appliances use the most amount of energy, 27% of a household’s electric usage.
Solutions to Reduce Energy Costs for Water Heating
- Showers instead of bathing – A warm bath is great to relax, but on a regular basis it is much more cost-effective to have a shower. Save those hot baths for the weekend or for when you really need them.
- Decreasing shower time saves water and reduces electric bills. While showering in a bathtub, you can turn off the water while you are soaping or shampooing. Good luck on the high school students, but it can make a difference to the energy bills.
- Reduce the amount of water you use for toilet flushing by fitting a flow reducer toilet nozzle.
- Do not let the hot water run to avoid wasting water. Turn off the tap or turn the water off when washing or rinsing dishes.
- Wash laundry with cold water – If you’re able to, try to do your laundry with cold water. If you are in need of a new washing machine, you should be aware of some of the more efficient ones and how they heat the water. Always check the energy rating.
- Install an on/off switch so you don’t have to turn your electric water heater on and off by hand.
- Lower the water heater temperature, but always consult with a professional first to ensure the heater is at an appropriate temperature to prevent health issues.
- Run your dishwasher when it is half-full or full. Try and use moderate pedaling frequency and eco-kneeling mode.
Electronics and Other Electrical Products
Your devices like your TV, cell phone, and computer use 20% of your electricity consumption.
Tips for Lowering Electricity Costs for Electronic Devices
- Select the product that has a better rating. The higher the usage, the greater discount you can get on your electricity bill.
- Turn your television or monitor off when it is not in use. Please switch it off as you exit.
- Adjust your computers brightness and contrast settings to minimize its energy consumption.
- Power off your computer when not in use.
- Only charge a device when there is a need, and then unplug it
Purchasing food to keep fresh and healthy comes at a price. Your refrigerator uses up 17% of your electrical potential.
Suggestions on how to reduce energy costs for refrigeration.
- Set the freezer at around -15°C and the fridge at around 4°C.
- Let your food cool before putting it away.
- Power consumption will increase as the seals no longer work properly, causing the refrigerator to consume more energy.
Keeping your house warm costs 15% of your electricity bill each year. Prices vary during the year depending on the season.
Methods to Reduce Heating Costs
- Ensure you have a well-insulated home, so you don’t ever have to use too much of your heating source.
- Sleep with the blinds down to keep the heat out.
- Keep doors closed so the heat only travels where needed, such as the living room and bedroom.
- Opt for a heat pump that is suited to the space and energy needs of the home. Your heat pump will be used a lot in The Sutherland Shire’s weather.
- Turn on your heat pump timer – use it only as needed and save on your energy costs.
- Hire True Local Electricians for your heating and cooling system.
- Avoid using oil heaters in cold weather.
- Ensure that bathrooms are ventilated and aired out, a dryer home is more easily heated. An extraction fan over a shower reduces the accumulation of steam.
Lighting accounts for about 13% of your average monthly utility bill.
Ways to Save on Lighting Costs
- Switch to using LED lights. They are cost-effective in comparison to other lighting fixtures.
- Install dimmers if you can.
- Be conscious and be aware – don’t turn on multiple lights in a room if you don’t need it. Utilize natural sunlight efficiently.
Cooking takes up a small percentage of your average electric bill. .
Tips to Lower Daily Cooking Energy Costs.
- For optimum residual heat, you can apply heat for 5-10 minutes longer than the set time. Turn off your stove before you fully cook the food.
We found that washing and drying clothes only costs 3 percent of a home’s total electrical costs.
Ways to Lower Energy Costs on the Laundry
- When dry, air dry your laundry whenever possible.
- Use the “economy” cycle on your washer.
- Try to do all your loads as full as possible.
- Adjust the water level to maintain the desired level.
- Before placing your garments in the dryer, spin them in the washer.
- In addition to the sun, use cycles of drying your clothes. Air out your clothes to freshen them up.
- Check your dryer’s filter regularly. This also makes the drying more efficient as well as reduces the risk of fire in the process.
Saving on electricity costs is difficult, but through proper installation and choice of appliances, residents can lower their electricity costs.
If you are interested in saving money on electrical costs, We are the the perfect electrician for you. As certified electrical specialists, we are trained to provide advice and assistance on the best way you can save energy and reduce costs.